Invisalign in Arcadia, CA
Having a bright, healthy smile that adds to your appearance is a common and natural desire. But as an adult or older teen, you may wonder how you can improve your teeth without the inconvenience of traditional metal braces. Are there orthodontic options for people who want to avoid unsightly wires and brackets, food restrictions, and long-term treatment?
At our dental office in Arcadia, CA, Dr. Maria Kim and her team strive to deliver quality and convenience to help you improve the appearance of your smile. We proudly offer Invisalign clear braces to make your beautiful smile easily attainable.
You work hard to make a good impression in professional and social situations, and you deserve to feel confident when you smile, laugh, or speak. Dr. Maria Kim helps her patients feel empowered about making changes to their smiles, using the most convenient, accessible treatments available.
- Can I straighten my teeth without wires and brackets?
- How does Invisalign work?
- What are the benefits of Invisalign?
- What kinds of problems can Invisalign fix?
- Is Invisalign right for me?
- Do I have to avoid certain foods with Invisalign?
- How long does Invisalign treatment take?
- How do I care for my Invisalign aligners?
- Will I need to wear a retainer after my Invisalign treatment?
- How can I schedule an Invisalign consultation?
Can I straighten my teeth without wires and brackets?
The days of suffering through traditional metal braces treatment is long over for adults and older teens. Invisalign clear aligners have helped people improve their smile discreetly and conveniently for over 20 years.
Invisalign is for people with busy lifestyles who want to straighten their smile without bringing attention to their orthodontic treatment. People choose Invisalign for these reasons:
- No metal brackets or wires to irritate your teeth or gums
- No restrictions on what you eat
- Easy dental hygiene
- Discreet, “invisible” appearance
- Faster treatment time
How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign uses removable clear aligner trays to apply constant, low-force pressure to your teeth and gradually move them into more esthetic alignment. The effect is a straighter, more beautiful smile, in addition to providing a more comfortable bite and easier hygiene and maintenance. Rather than affixing permanent brackets to your teeth and returning to the dentist office for adjustments, you’re in charge of wearing the appliance and gently moving your own teeth.
At your first appointment, Dr. Maria Kim thoroughly examines the position of your teeth. After taking images, x-rays, and impressions of your mouth, we use advanced 3-D modeling software to predict the movement of your teeth during treatment.
Next, we send your treatment plan to an Invisalign lab, which fabricates the customized aligner trays for each stage of your treatment. Here’s what to expect once you receive your Invisalign treatment kit:
- You’ll need to consistently wear your aligners for about 22 hours per day, exchanging them for a new set every one to two weeks.
- You can remove your Invisalign aligners to eat and for brushing and flossing.
- You’ll return to our dental office in Arcadia, CA periodically so that Dr. Kim can check your progress (typically once every six to eight weeks).
- When you change aligners, you may notice pressure or discomfort for the first few days. This is completely normal, and most people report significantly less discomfort with clear aligners than traditional braces.
You can watch your smile change as your treatment progresses! Seeing your dentist for orthodontic treatment has never been easier.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
Millions of professionals, busy moms and dads, high school and college students, and seniors have benefited from Invisalign since its creation. Now, clear aligners dominate orthodontic treatment for adults, with Invisalign leading the pack in popularity at dentist’s offices.
In addition to a quicker treatment time, here are more benefits of Invisalign:
- Invisalign has a minimal effect on your day-to-day life. Because your aligners are thin and fit snugly, you grow accustomed to them quickly. Since you can remove the clear aligner trays to brush and floss your teeth, maintaining excellent oral hygiene is much easier than with brackets and wires. You will not need any special flossers or tools to keep your teeth and gums healthy during treatment.
- Because Invisalign is clear, smooth plastic, you can avoid the wear and tear to the insides of your cheeks that is common with orthodontic brackets and avoid the need for orthodontic wax altogether.
What kinds of problems can Invisalign fix?
Invisalign corrects common alignment issues using convenient clear aligner trays. Do you have any of these issues?
- Overcrowding. When teeth overlap or bunch up, they may be pushed backwards in your mouth. Crowded teeth are more difficult to clean thoroughly, so they’re more susceptible to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Bite problems. When your jaws don’t line up perfectly, you can experience wear on your teeth, discomfort, and even chipped teeth. Invisalign can correct mild cases of open bite, overbite, underbite, and crossbite.
- Gap teeth. Invisalign closes spaces between teeth. Closing spaces between teeth prevents pockets where food can get stuck.
- Misaligned teeth. Teeth that are crooked often have crevices that harbor bacteria. Crooked teeth may also rub against other teeth and wear down the surfaces. Invisalign treats mild cases of misalignment to give you a stand-out smile.
Is Invisalign right for me?
We usually recommend Invisalign for older teens and adults because its success depends on consistently wearing the aligners for a certain number of hours per day. Younger children may not have the discipline to wear aligners they can easily remove. Younger patients may also lose the aligners or forget to put them back in after eating.
Another factor in successful Invisalign treatment is the severity of your bite issues or misalignment. If you have severe jaw, bite, or teeth misalignment, you may be able to wear Invisalign as a phase II treatment option after time in traditional braces.
Do I have to avoid certain foods with Invisalign?
You’ve paid your dues and want to enjoy life. Why should you have to give up your favorite foods? Nuts, corn on the cob, carrots, and bagels are just a few foods you have to give up with traditional braces. However, you never have to sacrifice enjoying your favorite foods with Invisalign because you take the aligners out of your mouth before eating.
How long does Invisalign treatment take?
Just like traditional orthodontics, the length of your treatment will depend on how far your teeth need to move. When Dr. Kim plans your treatment, she will estimate how long you will need to wear your aligners (typically from six to 18 months).
Compliance is key! Wearing your aligners for at least 22 hours per day will ensure you stay on an efficient timeline to complete your orthodontic treatment. As you witness the transformation of your teeth, you’ll be motivated and excited to take charge of your own treatment. Most people begin seeing a difference in their smile within just two to three months!
How do I care for my Invisalign aligners?
Brushing your teeth between meals is always a good idea, and continuing to have excellent dental hygiene with Invisalign treatment is important to stay on track with your progress. To keep your aligners clean, rinse them and brush them gently with toothpaste each night.
Will I need to wear a retainer after my Invisalign treatment?
You’ve invested in a new smile that you want to keep forever. To safeguard your teeth’s new positions, you’ll need to wear a retainer to prevent your teeth from drifting back to their previous positions. Your teeth need time to solidify their new positions, and a retainer will ensure that they stay put.
We’ll provide you with a retainer once you complete your Invisalign treatment so that you can maintain your smile! Remember, a retainer is very similar to an Invisalign aligner; you can still eat whatever you want!
How can I schedule an Invisalign consultation?
Let us help you achieve your vision of a beautiful, flawless smile. To learn if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign, please call to schedule an orthodontic evaluation with Dr. Kim in Arcadia, CA.